Thursday, December 18, 2008

Your Skill Set & Power Blouse

Whatever you write -- know how to write something else. That's how I got lunch with the publisher mentioned in the previous blog. I know how to write public-relations materials such as press releases. The publisher wanted me for my "skill set."All writers should be able to write more than one type of thing. I told the publisher I also knew where to send the press releases and what to do after that. Normally I hate the phrase "skill set" -- it's so 1980s "corporate." But mine works in my favor. No 1980s bow-tie power blouse is necessary.

Know-how -- in something other than creative writing -- got me the face-to-face meeting with a publisher who incidentally happened to be looking for a book ms that sounded rather like mine.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, thank you.

    Anyone who writes for a living (or has done so) probably has done every kind of writing there is. I know that I have. From marketing to PR, entertainment to technical...

    ReplyDelete