Wednesday, June 9, 2010

When a Writer Leaves Stories Behind

My late husband, Robert H. Kneib, wrote fiction and nonfiction, and published two essays (one, "My Last Great Reading Binge" nominated for a Pushcart Prize) during his lifetime. But I always liked his short stories, was sorry they never found a publisher, believe he quit trying too soon. I thought Bob's fiction had vanished along with his computer, but in cobwebby boxes in the garage, I found hard copies; he had kept all manuscripts which had workshop comments on them. Re-reading for the first time in ten years, I see that two of the five extant stories are excellent, and one nearly so; for these, successive drafts exist, showing ever-higher levels of polish. Only now has it occurred to me that they ought to be published and shared.

First I thought to set up a blog. But considering there are two excellent stories of significant length, a fiction chapbook would be ideal. Fiction chapbook competitions exist. I will see if being a living author is always a requirement. Failing that, nothing stops me from publishing such a chapbook myself.

While I consider what to do, I'm typing up the stories, digitizing, so that his best work may survive him.

5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful way to honor his memory!

    I believe you found them at just the right time. He wanted you to be the one to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly, a parting gift. You should certainly publish it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure he would love that you honor him in that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's uncanny, on this my 44th wedding anniversary, I should find your discovery
    of Bob's writings. Absolutely. Do what you need to do to publish them. I can feel him smiling from above, on both of us.

    ReplyDelete